Saturday, 26 July 2014

Artmor Project - almost done.

Apologies for no update in quite a while, but i'm not really kit building at the moment and every spare moment i have is taken up with the two art projects i have on the go.
As ever, much more in the way of progress shots are to be found on my Mr E Models facebook page.
Anyway, here we are with the first section of the Artmor Project piece all done.

Monday, 9 June 2014

The Artmor Project - reference

I'm indebted to the Artmor Project for giving me the opportunity to finally get this magazine.
Long believed to be "the bible" for any fan of "John Carpenters The Thing" or the work of Rob Bottin, i've off and on tried to get myself a copy. But they've always gone for big bucks.
But, with me doing my build based on the film, i thought i'd try again.
And sure glad i did - just bagged me this mint edition copy off the 'Bay for only £6.00 :)
And, WOW!
FANTASTIC coverage - loads of pages of really indepth stuff, with excellent photos.
Sure, most are on the DVD extras or the Net, but nothing beats holding it in your hands - especially for reference sakes.
Sadly, nothing on "Split Face" but don't regret the buy for a second.











Tuesday, 3 June 2014

The Artmor Project comes round again.

You may remember last year how i took part in the excellent charity event, The Artmor Project. The brief was simple - folk were given a blank set of Mandolorian chest plate armour and given free reign to come up with anything they like, and the finished results would be auctioned off for the Toys For Tots cause.
A very noble cause and i was dead chuffed to take part. I knew though that i wouldn't be painting the plates as i get so darn frustrated by not being able to put whats up in my head onto a flat surface.
So instead i glued the pieces to a board and made a diorama of Jawas and Tusken Raiders fighting over a Droid that was stuck on an island in the middle of a Sarlacc nest:



Well, a years passed and folk have been asked again if they'd like to take part and, of course, i'd love to.
But, what to do?
Again, not confident to paint so it'd have to be another sculpt. But what?
I started thinking outside of Star Wars as i'd already done that and considered a whole bunch of films and TV shows. Wasn't long before "John Carpenters The Thing" sprang to mind as, not only is it one of my favourite SF/horror films, i actually think it may well be in my Top Ten Films Of All Time list.
So, i think of the film and almost straight away the idea pops in of a riff on the creature designs sculpted onto the plates. Each seperate unlike the last, so it could actually be worn if needed.
And almost straight after that, in pops the memory that i've got a pair of actual size, glass human eyes that someone gave me years back but i've never got round to using:



Mind made up then, and i knew that i wanted these eyes to be in the same sort of position as on "Split-Face" from the film, with its weirdly flowing skin connecting the two:



I also found this full size skull and i've thought about maybe cutting out the eye socket areas and have them incorperated into the build, but i'm now thinking no as i've a feeling anything jutting too far out from the surface may mess up the lines of the piece and distract from what it is.
Might use a bit of the mouth and teeth though.





Saturday, 17 May 2014

Meka Dread

Here we go with a shot of the Youtube only featured build. Very pleased with how he's turned out and just how chunky he is in the "flesh".





Sunday, 4 May 2014

Dakka Jet - yellows

So here were are based in a nice orange/yellow, with a paler yellow picking out some details.
Then a messy wash of Burnt Umber/Raw Umber to fill in all the deeper areas and show the detail. I've left it at that as, hey, they're Orks right? And a right messy bunch.
Next shot is with the blacks put in and decals put on.
Last shot, the pilot and cabin all done.








Saturday, 26 April 2014

Dakka Jet

Still fancying some Ork technology, i've now plumped for this kit.
I knew there'd be quite a lot of parts as you've the option of making one of three versions, each which has its own weapons, wings and cockpit configurations:



I've gone with the "Dakka" option (the light, fast fighter version) as i think it looks the best and leaves me a ton of surplus parts to go in the bits box.
The build was very simple and quick and its neat to see how some panels etc are covered up or uncovered depending on what you go for. I did think this'd be a long build though as the cockpit has to be fully painted before it can be inserted.
But what's great is the completed assembly just pops into the top when done - meaning i can leave it off until final weathering to the plane is done.
The pilot here is just Blu Tac'd into place, ditto his arms, head, and dashboard for ease of painting:






As usual with Games Workshop plastic kits, the grey, waxy plastic really doesn't sell the kit well and its only when a kit has Primer on that its starts to pop:

Jagoroth Spaceship - black

Okay, primed in White, the central section masked off, coated in Halfords Matt Black, masking tape removed to show shocking attempt at masking properly.

Friday, 18 April 2014

Mekka Dread

Another kit i'm making at the moment is the Mekka Dread by Forge World.
To save time, i'm documenting its build on my Youtube channel and i'm up to Part 3 now.
Part 1 can be found here if you fancy a look:

Grot Runtbot - finished

Sorry about the lack of in-progress shots on thsi fella, but i've been so busy on getting various scratchbuilds done by their deadlines (see me Mr E Models Facebook page for more info on those), plus other kitbuilds just makes everything so hectic right now.
Anyway, here's the Boy all done. Had a great time in just doing the metallics, but had even more fun once the armour plates were blocked in to make him as down and dirty and rusty as i could.